Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Travelogue: Crazy Woman Canyon, Wyoming"

(click on pics to enlarge)

I had planned a long weekend to traipse through the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming, and chose to enter through a neat place called Crazy Woman Canyon...the name was enough to entice me, with variations on the legend aplenty (found this interesting excerpt link from a book titled "Crazy Woman Creek"). As I approached the eastern ramparts, it was getting late in the day, hence the angled light on the front range that greeted me to the Bighorn complex...

The first bit of the road had the right/north side in full sun, showing the sedimentary ledges nicely with the specular lighting...

...and soon enough the canyon walls closed in on me...the road crossed this simple wooden bridge, and from there on out it was a narrow coursing that even my wide-angle lens had a hard time encompassing...
(note the golden 'glow' around the bend...)

I can only imagine how waters rage through here after storms or serious snow melt...at this time the lower reaches had only trickles, echoing against the massive canyon walls...

As you know from recent posts, I love to go in close when I have the chance. Since lenses didn't really help tell the story of the canyon, I figured closer-framed scenes would give you a sense of the beauty I ran into that afternoon and evening...

It was clearly fall, of course, mid September there...the colors while muted in the shade did have a saturation that was very warming...while I don't know the plant shown below, here in the Southeast is a plant called Dolls Eyes, for obvious reasons: previous generations would use these late-season berries for the eyes of homemade dolls.

Water is magical almost any way you look at it. Below, I focused on the ripples reflecting the strong west light on the east rim wall, bouncing the reflections in the cerulean-based waters, whose azure tones are accentuated in the shadows...

Too, the mix of golden leaves, with gnarled exposed roots, up against a Grandfather rock...a scene that really grounds me with the 'elements' all coming together for a family portrait...

'Twas late in the day when I got to the top of the canyon, which opened up to the upper plateau of the Bighorns...and I snapped this serene scene while stopped on a simple bridge...

I realize most of us don't have the opportunity to get into such places...the healing and peaceful enveloping is indescribable, as you may well imagine...which is why I hope in some way even but one of you finds some solace in these pics, even if it makes you wistful. You won't be alone, I can assure you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(quote):
All things are bound together.
All things connect.
What happens to the Earth
happens to the children of the Earth.
--- Chief Seattle, 1855

NO coincidence that that quote was at the top of the letterhead of the local land conservancy paperwork I received at home in yesterday's snail-mail!

Bob, those are some of your best pics yet! :)
And I felt Chief Seattle's 150+ year old message as I looked at each one of those pics very closely!
Thanks for sharing! :)

Suzy :)