Friday, July 27, 2007

"Why We Do..." Part 3: More art 'stuff'

(click on pics to enlarge)

(NOTE: my new "Fried Fridays" returns next week...wanted to finish up the series I started this week with this last installment)

Pity I can't find other computer files of my older art things, albeit they would be primitive digital files of limited quality...I have an old external hard drive that whines endlessly and quit booting up some 3 years ago, and I suppose a lot of old files are on that and basically toast.
And so I spill the beans and show you the rest of the limited images I have of other unusual things I used to do with my spare time. Who knows if I'll ever revisit them...or do something totally new and different...as the wonderfully true saying goes:

"The Joy is in the Journey."


Like the Sun Table I posted about 2 days ago, below is another faux mosaic painted with those same simple acrylics...I call this one "Angel Dog"...I've never owned a Golden Retriever, but that's the dog I chose. Go figure. As far as I'm concerned, they're all Angels...

This pine round I'd thought about making into a 'lazy Susan' and never got around to it (gee, imagine my surprise!). I had a fish outline I'd cut out with my scroll saw for another purpose, and then montaged outlines onto the wood. I then used a woodburning knife for all the lines and painted away with whimsical colors. You can't see the edge, but I took pastel tissue paper, tore it into irregular pieces, and decoupaged them on...looks neat, but you'll just have to take my word for it! By the way, all the pieces except the "Dog Table" below are somewhere stashed away at home...really ought to go dig 'em out and hang 'em up!

I had the most fun with this old clock...I like taking old things and doing funky things with them, and what better to do that on than an old Seth Thomas clock that runs! When I was a little kid, there was a funny TV show called "Love American Style", and I just had the idea come out of the blue to make this folk art style of clock in honor of that show...complete with butts coming out of the sides!

I have lots of scrap wood that can't be used for flutes...and I had this idea to create an animal-esque miniature table I called my "Dog Table"...and if that dog had a name, I would have called it "Tripod"...! The flat part is plum wood, and the legs/ears/tail is Bubinga, FYI.

Lastly, way back in 7th grade, I started drawing mazes, and the style wasn't much more simple than it is today. I've gotten more complicated in the outer designs I put them in, and you can add words and messages within the mazes, but the basic technique is pretty much unchanged back from those days where I should have been paying more attention in class...!!

They are solvable, but very difficult as I work from both ends (start/finish) as I go along. Paths constantly fork and split, some loop into one another, many end up being dead-ends...interestingly, drawing these is like a meditation of sorts as you go into another mental zone, almost like alpha waves. Now for the extra credit question of the day: what is the phrase that serves as the title of the bottom center maze? It's a great philosophy to subscribe to in life, by the way.....give up? "Color outside the lines!"

Just don't run with scissors, okay? Have a great weekend, Saddle Pals!

No comments: