Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"Why do we do what we do?"

The quintessential question. Lots of people don't do much of anything, so it seems. Others do such mind-boggling things that I can't fathom how one would take a first step down their Journey's path. And it doesn't have to be the creative arts...it can be through an entrepreneurial business acumen, it can be through literary efforting of myriad books in no time flat...the list is endless.

As we all look back on where we've come from, most of us can see periods where we got really interested in this or that, pursued it heart and soul, then left it for something else, or changed our schedules which changed our interests, etc. So many factors, such unlimited possibilities...and time marches on, changes or not.

And so I 'visited' a limited computer folder of much older small digital images of that which I used to pursue: whimsical, creative art (mixed media) as well as gallery photography. Most of my images are on slides or negatives, pre-digital in creation...but they will at least give you a flavor of my other interests...or what were interests...and could be again in a perfect world where I had unlimited time to create and unlimited funds so bills could be paid without my worrying about them...! As you know from following this blog, if it's not the weather, then it's my Native American style flutes I pursue passionately, along with my nature photography for diversion. At this time, I simply haven't the time or creative space to do all my heart desires, so I carefully pick and choose my options for now.

Today, I'll share just my older photography that I happened to have a digital form of, primitive as it is...I had a studio for a while, shot lots of weddings and put on my own exhibitions of my 'gallery' fine art photography, etc...but the expense of having so many works show-ready, along with serious storage issues for them, I set it all aside years ago...

Above is one of my favorite photographs of all time: an embedded leaf in a spider web with raindrops from an evening storm, a photo taken at Heggie's Rock Preserve in Georgia. Handheld, probably 1/8th of a second shutter speed with probably f/11 or f/16 aperture...squatting, holding my breath and squeezing tightly to be still for the shot...can't see it in this little version, but in the raindrops you can see my hunkered down reflection...

And this balloon, being inflated in Tryon, NC on "Tryon Day" in 1986, I think...early morning, the balloon stretched out, the blower torching hot air into the balloon, which starts to rise...and I held my old Canon out at arm's length and just 'guessed' where to point the camera to get a view inside the balloon...

I hoisted an old Omega View 4x5 camera to the top of Table Rock Mountain in Linville Gorge to take this B&W shot of some of the rock textures at the crest...I call it "Raging Bull" as it kind of looks like one snorting hombre...got rid of all my large format equipment years ago when digital exploded and I no longer had darkroom access.

This was a rare photo in that I planned for it...years ago I was working a 3-month stint doing daily shows for Volvo/GM Heavy Truck in Greensboro, and in driving by these large petroleum storage drums I realized that in the late afternoon the sun would create a wonderful shadow play with the stairwell...so I waited for the right conditions one day and stopped to make this image.

Lastly, I have a few special shots tucked away of scenes you will no longer find...in the above case, layers of peeling paint on what was an old gas station, long since sandblasted and converted into an ice cream parlor in Columbus, NC. I shot it with an old Burke & James 8x10 view camera, a 14" Commercial Ektar lens, and had it printed on Ilfochrome in a 3 foot x 4 foot print...this little snap doesn't do it justice, but after it kept sitting in closets and attics for years, I recently gave it to my sister to hang in her office at Hospice of the Carolina Foothills in the Tryon/Columbus area. The detail from that 8"x10" transparency is surreal.

I'll save my other 'art' for tomorrow or another day. Looks like nice storms are alive and well in the far NW Triad at this hour, so will head on in to the salt mines to keep the peace. Ciaou!

No comments: