Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Why We Do...", Part 2: The Sun Table

Just showing you something has limited value...telling you how it came about definitely adds a little bit of interest to the mix.

Keep in mind the bigger picture...through my blogs, there are many large nature shots, none of which I've copyrighted or watermarked...I want you to enjoy and share them. There are art ideas and techniques that I freely talk about...I have no other desire but to share and maybe inspire someone else to reach deep within their creative Soul. Even with flutes, I will tell anyone everything I know if they are truly wanting to know...you see, I figure one of the main purposes on this planet for ALL of us is to give something back to others and to this ol' world...when I'm dead and gone, what good are all these files and images if they're locked up in a cyberfolder?


And so, for today, here is my one and only "Sun Table". A bit of background is in order...my dad used to call me "OOAK" (OOOH-ock), an acronym for "One Of A Kind", which was more than appropriate. When I began creating artistic things, I called my works "OOAK Art", because the overwhelming majority of my artistic creations were one-of-a-kind, rarely duplicated/copied. This table is no exception...

It started out as an 18" pine round from Home Depot or Lowe's....I sanded, added primer sealer, then sanded and added primer sealer again...then penciled in my faux mosaic design of a sun face...as I drew a basic design, I added in penciled lines that would serve as my mosaic base...as you can imagine, just the drawing and designing took a good bit of time and planning...

As I started painting the little pieces, I determined the colors I wanted only as I went along...I used the inexpensive bottles of acrylics from art stores, which if you wait for the right time can sometimes get them 3 for a buck, and load up on all sorts of colors. I made sure to leave a little bit of the primer showing for a faux grout appearance...and after the colors were added I had to take a little brush and go back in to the primered area and touch it up with white paint.

If you look closely at the purple sections on the left of the picture above, you see a sort of pattern...after putting on the acrylic, I placed a paper towel over it, dabbed it, and pulled it up, leaving the little pattern in place. That's the fun of art, experimenting and seeing what works...and just as often what does NOT work! In total, with the designing, painting and touching up again and again and again, I estimated about 54 hours of my time was in the table top alone.

For a base, I found some dead rhododendron in Tryon, NC where I was living when I made this table...brought several pieces to the house and sat and played with them to see which ones might go well together to make an unusual off-centered base. Ultimately this unique table sold to a dear flute friend in Pennsylvania, where it graces her renovated school house home, if I'm not mistaken. Like each of my flutes, these art pieces are like kids of mine, and it's always important that they find good homes.

More later, of course. I see more rain again in the northern and western reaches of the Triad even now, so it's time to head 'em up and move 'em out....mooooooooooo!

No comments: