Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"He's baaaaaack...."

Dustin' off the cobwebs - I've actually missed dealing with the blog, though I don't normally post on the weekends. Thanks for all your well-wishes...this knee's recovery is slightly ahead of the other knee's recovery from last April, and while I've got a long way to go in rehab, I've been off crutches 2 days and don't feel like stressing our stretched staffing any more than is necessary. There is no doubt I will head home immediately after my shift and lay down with an ice pack!

Too, for the second time this year I actually get to use one of my special flutes, a very stout walking cane that has a fl
ute built into it. The mouthpiece is on the backside of the handle, with the airway taking a 90 degree turn down into the hollowed out cane (except the last 16" which is solid. Hangs down like a saxaphone to play, and is a nice conversation piece and very utilitarian. I can sit down and just start playing the cane, er, uh...flute. It's loaded with Malachite and Jet inlay of an ivy vine growing all around the finger holes, with a special block of a raccoon popping its head out from a hollowed tree. With a piece of copper tubing embedded in the joint of the flute and handle, it will last the ages, even with my Cape Buffalo self putting it to the test!

Wow. One year, already. One year that News 14 has been on the air in the Triad market. Special luncheon today that I will regrettably have to pass on, but I send a big 'thank you!' to those of you who make us a part of your day.

I joined the glee club this weekend...glee over this DEE-lightful change in the weather! I'm just not a 'heat' person, and I have no doubt the infusion of colder air even here in NC has helped me in my recovery. The mornings have been especially comfy, and you actually get that hint of the seasonal change ahead. Already people barking that our drought will make for an ugly fall leaf change, but this I know: there is always gorgeous color, even if it's more in pockets instead of wide-spread across the slopes. That means you move in closer, photographically, opting for something more cropped instead of some wide panorama shot. May be posting some fall shots from last year soon, in a travelogue blog, just to tempt our palates.

The tropics have simmered to just a tepid pot, with the 3 circled areas 'being watched' quite on the wimpy side with no imminent development anticipated. In the Carolinas, we keep the fair skies and slightly warming temps into the lower 80s by Wednesday, and pleasantly cool mornings to freshen the day's start. While we enjoyed Friday's rain, we have a long way to go to ameliorate drought conditions, and there is none on our figurative radar screen at this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are doing well Bob! Hope the recovery continues to go well!

Will

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you back at blogging. I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly. Lori