Wednesday, September 19, 2007

In a word....

"Groggy." Rare are the times I ever hit the snooze button. Usually I bounce up like a squirrel after the alarm goes off...well, kinda sorta. Rarer yet are the times I actually cut the alarm off...and fall back to sleep.

And so I began a 'rarer' day. 1:00 am became 2:35 am in the wink of an eye; thankfully something within me nudged me to look at the clock. THEN I jumped up like a squirrel. Ugh...some things in life are a lot of fun...but that ain't on the list.

The other 'rarer' thing is I've been feeling unusually groggy, and for no known reason. Usually it takes a good 30 minutes to get my internal engine revved up and back on track, but it's not happening today as it feels a tad like an out of body experience. I'm much more used to the out of mind experiences...as the old saying goes,

"Of all the things I miss in life, I miss my mind the most."

Edward Vernon (1684-1775) had a well known nickname "Old Grog" which some say was derived from his rather constant wearing of a grogram coat, a coarse blend of silk, and wool or mohair, sometimes stiffened with gum. Others say the word 'grog' definitely has West Indies roots as early as 1718, possibly even African origins, and apparently referring to a rum-based concoction of sorts.

In 1740 he put forth an order that all rum rations be dilluted with water aboard his ship, and the rest of the Royal Navy quickly followed suit. Long story short, there is an alcoholic beverage now known as "Navy Grog", named after Vernon's nickname...which could well have been a nickname gotten earlier from the West Indies liquor trade and not his grogram coat afterall. Where's the National Enquirer when you need it most...

I did peruse Vernon's commanding history and saw where in 1706 he captained the HMS Dolphin - clearly an all-porpoise sailing ship...but did so for only 10 days before being moved to the HMS Rye...I wonder if someone had a sense of humor when they did that...in 1739 he captured the Spanish colonial possession of Porto Bello (now in Panama), where business mushroomed afterwards...in the Cuban campaign in 1741, he captured Guantanamo Bay...with the help George Bush's great-great-great-grandfather, though the CIA denies it to this day. OK, I made that one up.

Have a happy hump day, y'all...time to post and go...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, it takes 48 hours on average to lose the groggy effect of anesthesia but sometimes it can take longer. I am assuming you were asleep during your surgery.

You might need to increase the times you rest. then this feeling might go away. Lori

mom2ahrj said...

"in 1739 he captured the Spanish colonial possession of Porto Bello (now in Panama), where business mushroomed afterwards"...funny - not too bad for someone who's groggy :-)

Bob Child said...

Thanks Lori...have been pushing it pretty hard as I'm back up and at work again...icing helps, but good ol' rest would be even better!

Bob Child said...

As Elvis would say, "uh...thank ya...uh, thank ya very much..." I can always count on my brain to find humor in just about anything, even when it's groggy! I think one of the first things I said coming out of surgery Friday was "Did the doctor do the lobotomy like I asked?"