Thursday, July 31, 2008

Art: food for the Soul

I was going through some of my favorite bookmarked YouTube videos the other day, and I ran across this beautiful live, impromptu rendition of "Shenandoah", played on the acoustic guitar by one of the Bluegrass greats Tony Rice. As a musician, I appreciate the nuances, phrasings, unique chordings and fingerings...and Tony is a master in his own right.

Apologies in advance if at some time in the past I blogged with this link. Not the shortest of pieces, or the most complex, but worth a listen, even if you keep the sound up and do other work...and even if you've heard it before. It's peaceful, from the soul:

Tony Rice playing "Shenandoah"

At the end, there is a great quote by another bluegrass legend Tim O'Brien. It really hit home to me, so I thought I'd pull it for you to read:

"One of the things about art is you give people an excuse...to take some time...to be quiet...and pay attention to something...and maybe, under the guise of enjoyment, think about important things in life."

Amen, Tim. Art that strikes your inner chords will instantly transport you to places of a very spiritual, even surreal peace and feelings. Well, truth be told, there are some shock artists who go the other extreme to rattle cages on purpose to get people to rethink their's or society's ideologies, but that's not the direction I wanted to point, this morning.

I receive my 'lifts' from varying situations and genres, not limited to music or 'art' but just inspirational moments that can occur anywhere, anytime, in their own way. Lately it's been music, and I hear a lot in my head that I want to get written and recorded if I could but find the time, the isolation, and the energy.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, of inner stillness."
- Eckhart Tolle

I guess all of us who pursue artistic passions do so because to not do it would be a death unto itself. And so we continue to follow our inner yearnings, trusting in the process of the ultimate beauty we feel led to create.

Better get in to work...since I posted the Tony Rice link above, and if you like bluegrass, check out this video of the Tony Rice All Star Jam that has the greatest of the greats on stage...including ol' David Grisman ripping up the mandolin with his Dawg music, Bela Fleck, et al.

Tony Rice All Star Jam playing "Freeborn Man"

Boldly follow your passions. Even if you don't make it to the stars, you'll still be walking in stardust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Bob!

And to quote Albert Camus:
"The aim of art, the aim of a life can only be to increase the sum of freedom and responsibility to be found in every man and in the world. It cannot, under any circumstances, be to reduce or suppress that freedom, even temporarily. No great work has ever been based on hatred and contempt. On the contrary, there is not a single true work of art that has not in the end added to the inner freedom of each person who has known and loved it."

Suzy :)