Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Tired of trash?"

Bit of a busy week in my weather world...lots of double shifts and mental drain...so I looked forward to heading the half-hour home yesterday, driving either in silence or listening to the local public radio station. There is a major road reconstruction near home that requires a 4-mile detour for at least the next 5 weeks, and I have several options to get around the ensuing mess.

I've written before about my long-distance buggy with, now, 260,000 miles on it...aside from the fact of how reliable it's been, it's safe to say I've driven a lot. When you are a road warrior, you become keenly aware of the traffic around you...the drivers and their habits, and you do see many, many accidents waiting to happen. You learn to drive very defensively, and you learn to be VERY aware of what's going on around you.

I was in a 4-lane through a red light, and a truck in the right lane turned in to a grocery store. I contemplated moving from the left to the right lane when I noticed an older blue economy station wagon up on my bumper, out of nowhere. It immediately cuts over to the right before I could even make a decision, with little space, and zooms well above the speed limit ahead of traffic. You learn to let people like that go their own way before they cause real trouble.

And so I approached the next light, which had just turned red...a car in the left lane, and Ol' Zippy in the right lane. I mused that if I get in the right lane that car is sure to zoom on ahead, and I can proceed without any slowpokes. As I pull up behind the wagon, I noticed the driver take the last gulp from one of those black energy drink cans I see everywhere...

With the flick of wrist, the driver let sail the empty can through the passenger window and clattering onto the sidewalk and into the grass! I instinctively hit my horn and shook my finger at the driver (and NOT the middle finger, either!) Oh, they were NOT amused...but ask me if I gave a rat's butt. This day and age you have to be careful with rude, arrogant people, and I did nothing more while their mouth moved all sorts of contortions that I could see in their mirror. The light changed and they gunned it.

But not before I grabbed a pen and took down the license plate number and information. Here's why:

The NCDOT has a program called
"SWAT-A-LITTERBUG!"
...I'd seen a billboard some time ago about it, and remembered that you can report litterbugs to the state, as long as it's a NC tag in a NC location. You better believe I went straight home, went to the website, and filled in the report form. You can also call or write a letter, your choice. While the NCDOT can't charge them with any violation, they will send the offending party a letter, explaining they were seen littering, reminding them of the fines for doing so, and urging them to be good stewards and not litter. Too, they'll have a record in case there are future reports.


I do not have much patience for mean people...bullies...people who steal and cheat others...people who mistreat elderly, children, and animals...and, among others, people that think so little of the environment that they throw trash anywhere they wish. I will speak up and stand up for not only my rights but the rights of all of us. While it is wise to choose your battles carefully, some come automatically to me...and this was one of 'em.


You can report litterbugs yourself; here's the website and info:
SWAT-A-LITTERBUG
1-877-368-4968

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Taking a stand doesn't require a lot of physical effort, just mental resolution. By the way, I was recently in Canada and remarked again on how little litter there is in general. They teach kids in kindergarten not to litter.
Abigail

Bob Child said...

As the late great Maggie Kuhn was quoted, "Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes." Our kindergartens would do well to follow Canada's suit, eh?! Their 5 year-olds are more responsible than some of our 55 year-olds, sadly...

bob