Monday, July 07, 2008

"Greetings, Aliens!"

I've got a passel of chrysallis bodies awaiting their perfect transformation as winged ones...but I'm hard pressed to identify them. They arguably look like swallowtails (blacks and tigers), but the caterpillars don't match up. The ones I've seen make these are jet black with paired red dots down their backs. Just not up to snuff in that area of science, I.

What I liked was that they look like little aliens, most sitting upright. Should be hatching fairly soon (some already have) , so I hope to catch one doing so before too long.



Well, another July 4th has come and gone...lots of scattered storms with attitudes graced the Carolinas with their presence daily...not to offend the unstable air mass overhead, they'll have a curtain call again this afternoon...

In driving the interstates for several hours, I certainly saw an overall reduction in vehicles on the road, especially in the RV category. I used to full-time in a 31-foot Class C a few years ago...can't imagine now gassing up those twin 40-gallon tanks and shelling out over $300 to do so. Gas prices are certainly causing some noticeable shifts in almost everyone's life, no doubt.

And so I rather enjoyed turning the brain off from all the depressing news a while to marvel at these little guys and gals. Nature is spectacular in its intricacies yet simplicities at the same time, isn't it...

Keeping it short as I'm running a tad late...always a bit harder to get back to the schedule after a holiday weekend!

No comments: