Monday, July 21, 2008

"Me? I'm a fungi..."

(click on pics to enlarge)

No, really, I am...a fun guy...!
I do not profess to know my mushrooms and variants thereof...yet, in walking Mercy Sunday morning, there were more mushrooms than you could shake a stick at. And so I photographed 'em, with almost no information to pass along, unlike my normal posts...except maybe for a few one-liners...

Just taking 'sporadic' pictures like this one...

This one was glistening with wetness...part of its nature, I guess...

I would call this one "Flappus Jackus" because it looks like griddlecakes, even if a bit curled up...

The morning sun lit up this family grouping...

I'd call this one "Meringus cookiea" as it looks like baked meringue...

...and this one "Cerebralus cortexium" as it resembles the brain patterning...or a cabbage...or your brain on cabbage...

...and in the midst of earth tones came these bold red ones...


...amongst them the earth tone ones with proper 'morels'....

But the most enjoyable sight was the "Mercius playus"...

What can you do? No stopping her jumping in...the pup loves water and this little drainage area had just what she was looking for...thus ended our romp in the Land of Fungus for Sunday...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice pics, bob-especially of Mercy. Did you get wet getting her out of the water?

Bob Child said...

Oh, no, I don't get near the water! Mercy's game is she splashes in the water, bites at imaginary gollywogs, and when she gets out we stare each other down...then she comes sprinting directly at me, veering just as she gets to me, running for a little bit...then she wheels around, looks me in the eye and repeats the sprint-by...and she'll do this about 3 or 4 times before she just keeps on going at a slow canter and the walk back to the car resumes. It's quite comical!

Anonymous said...

"Meringus Cookiea" (LOL!) looks like the ones we used to call "puffballs" as kids ... they "poof" if you stomp on them!
Aside from the morels, I'm guessing that all the others are probably QUITE poisonous to humans and canines!
GREAT pics though ... LOVE the colors and the close-ups!!

Suzy :)