Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"What a difference..."


...something so small can make. Figured you could all relate to a situation like this, a situation that is oh-so minor in the greater scope of life, but so annoying to deal with...


Sunday I was down in the woods cutting large kudzu vines, negotiating the steep, slippery terrain with pruners and a small brush saw. I had a heavy pair of work gloves on, and all was hunky-dory, outside of it was slow, buggy work. At some point I felt my thumb catching in the tip of the glove but I kept on doing stuff. Only after an hour did I realize, "Hey, that hurts!".

Took my thumb out an in essence a huge chunck of my fingernail had torn back, well below the quick, the kind of tear you have to go ahead and tear off to treat. Minor to look at, but oodles of nerve endings there firing bloody murder messages in pulsating manner.

And so t'was a good time to quit, clean-up, and bandage the oddly located damage area. Once all that was taken care of, two things started to immediately happen, things I'm sure you can relate to:

1. I quickly realized all the things I use my thumb tip for because all of a sudden I couldn't use it, at least how I used to use it. Couldn't hold certain tools safely, or grab items like I usually do, and I couldn't type on a keyboard worth a tinker's $#@&.

2. Murphy's Law corrollary 472 immediately comes into play:
"When a body part gets injured, however small it is, you will commence to strike said part on hard objects no less than 100 times an hour for the first 3 hours. At times your howls will mimic that of the Tundra Wolf in winter."

So, no biggee, but a temporary nuisance for a lot of what i do. " Desperate for a blog idea today, Bob?" Why yes, yes I was. My plate before me is full but soon will have some neat flute stuff to finally share. I'll be vending my Ugly Boys at Bele Chere in Asheville the last Fri-Sun in July, a monstrous craft/art fair, and I need this thumb to calm down quickly so I can forge ahead. More on that later, too, the fair.

No storms today, y'all! YAY!

2 comments:

mom2ahrj said...

bob, just wanted to say "i feel for you" - i was recently diagnosed with arthritis in the thumb on my right hand...depressing considering my age but also i know what you mean about suddenly realizing all that you use your thumb for :-) hope you're feeling better today and that you have an INCREDIBLE fourth!

Bob Child said...

Well, blessings to you, Jenn! Hope you and your young 'uns have a wonderful Fourth, as well. Weather must go on, so I'm working the Fourth, but you better believe I'll use the weekend to heal! Peace.
Bob