Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Good Golly, Miss Molly!

(click on pics to enlarge the cuteness)

You may already be well aware that I'm an animal lover. I'm also a big proponent of adopting rescue animals; I highly recommend that anyone looking to add a 4-legged companion to their family start with any of the many local shelters that try to find 'forever homes' for their charges.

Mercy wasn't an only 'child'...she had two older adoptees that crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago, but I never replaced them. Mercy is quite content in her solo role on the throne, but I've always leaned toward getting another dog for company. While I advocate adopting older dogs, for myriad reasons, it just so happened that I made a casual stop by a local adoption fair a week ago and, well, the rest is history.

I got squarely blind-sided...


Meet "Molly".....

Hard to believe she and her litter mates were abandoned. She's a Border Collie mixed with the great unknown, and as I write about 9-10 weeks old...

To say Mercy is glad to have her in her life would be a bold-faced lie, worthy of a lightning bolt upside the head. However, I have no doubt she will be a wonderful mother-figure for the wee one once Molly gets out of her pestering stage!...



She is a pistol, no doubt, chock full of personality and energy...and sharp puppy teeth that enjoy being engaged. She actually came with two speeds: full-bore and sleep. The sleep gear seems to only work for 3-4 hours at best, making for melodious overnight vocalizations...

She is endlessly inquisitive and playful, and knows no strangers...yet....

This is the only water she's been in so far...didn't do too much before hopping out, but if she hangs with Mercy she will quickly learn that creeks and lakes are pretty cool places to explore...

And so this post ends with many updates to follow, I have no doubt...let the adventurous games begin!


3 comments:

John said...

Love it!!!!!

Can't wait to meet her.

Bill C said...

How adorable! I've been on the fence about getting a dog for over a year. I think one trip to an adoption center would be all it would take. So I haven't gone yet...

Good luck to you and Mercy with your new "wee beast" (as my grandmother would say).

Bob Child said...

"Wee" in every sense of the word, Bill! When you are ready, the perfectly 'right' pup or older dog will let you know that THEY are the one! I say 'go for it!', but I'm biased!