Friday, October 06, 2006

I kinda like cool gray days, myself...

You can always remember that on those dark days where you don't see the light you wish you could...that it's there, right where it should be...just temporarily obscured by 'clouds' of a physical or metaphysical nature. I'll take the less 'heavy' road and go 'physical' clouds...'cause we got a lot of 'em, and then some! But those of you who have ears have heard.It was late in the day last winter as I drove north from Wind Cave National Park in the south-central Black Hills of South Dakota, back toward Rapid City on the backroads, by choice...how often do we think of dull gray days as lifeless and boring? Does not Life itself continue on its path, regardless of a Moment's conditions? One just needs to be Still and expand Awareness to see all the activity. Only the Mind tells us it is not there.

I'll admit, the buffalo were hunkering down, and the wild turkeys were not out in their usual numbers...mine was the only car on the road. I had slowed and stopped at a wide place in the road...put the windows down and zipped up my coat to hear the beautiful silence of wind on a winter's eve that was threatening snow showers...and within a brief period a motion to my right caught my attention.

The lone coyote pictured above was slowly trotting across the rise...maybe en route to his den and mate...or heading to a hunting ground...it was magical, regardless, and with the windows already down I quickly captured a couple of photos before he or she was gone from view. The Lakota tribe there has an expression that says it all for such an experience:
"Lila anpetu waste!"
(LEE-luh ahn-PET-too WASH-teh)
It is a very good day! Aho!

So today we have a plethora of clouds, chilling N-NE winds, periods of drizzle and showers, and temperatures that have no resemblance to yesterday's sultry high of 85 degrees...all thanks to a large area of low pressure curling back into the Outer Banks as it slowly drifts southward toward Georgia over the next 3 days. I relish the cool down, and find it quite vibrant, such conditions. Yes, it will make for a cloudy chilly Saturday with a chance for showers in most Triad areas, and a mostly cloudy Sunday...but, afterall, it is October, and the march of the seasons needs to do its thing. And I, for one, welcome it with open arms.

See, harkening back to my original post and blog description...I take left turns at Albuquerque regularly. I cover my bigger weather issues in my forecast write-up, and occasionally here. My blog is more about food for thought...sometimes humorous, sometimes pensive, but always able to touch some part of another's Being. I thank you for reading this far. May you walk in Beauty.

No comments: