Thursday, October 05, 2006

Your Rootin'-Tootin'-Flutin' Forecast...

ALERT: WARDROBE CHANGE AHEAD!

From highs in the lower 80s, we are set for a Friday that most likely won't get out of the upper 50s in the Triad, with lots of clouds and rain showers to boot, ushered in on north-northteast winds up to 15mph. Ah, NOW we're getting into perfect shorts weather for me! Alas, that also entails a far cloudier weekend with some showers maybe being added back into the early hours of Saturday morning. At least it will feel like fall, though.

This Friday through Sunday I'll have my Ugly Boy Flutes at the Canterbury Faire in Tryon, North Carolina. Tryon is such an unusual community; very high quality of living, yet a small population of a few thousand folks, and close enough to Asheville, Greenville, and Spartanburg to be quite a draw. As well, it's HUGE horse country and reknowned for its Block House Steeplechase held each spring for lord knows how many years. Having lived there before, I know tons of people there (notwithstanding my mom and sister live there, as well.) So I finally got around to photographing a handful of new flutes I'll be taking there, and thought I would share them with you here. The hummingbird inlay is of malachite, abalone, and pink coral. It has an African Satinwood body, Purpleheart spacers, and redwood burl endcaps. The bird block is made of Peruvian Walnut, atop an elevated nest of mahogany. Key: low E

I also make a line of flat-bottomed flutes I call Half-Pipes. This little one is in thekey of high E and is made of Aspen (w/ a walnut bottom). Being a dog lover, I felt like putting some puppy paws meandering down the flute. You'll note it is a 6-hole, with one hole far to the side. The high flutes have finger holes too close together to make them 6-holes, with most becoming 5-holes...but I experimented with this one by rotating it out to the side and it works very very well.

And who doesn't love the tight banding of some beautiful Curly maple? This key of A beauty has a wonderful bright voice and is a responsive player. The block is a reclining Kokopelli in Peruvian Walnut. And then there is this flute I've been wanting to create for a long time...the wood is Panga Panga, a dense African hardwood relative to Wenge...and by accident I discovered I can easily make it look like a log. When I first worked with this wood I had a reaction to it, but learned that if I shower within 30 minutes of working with it I was okay. The block is made from burly maple, though I may fashion another one when I have more time, if it doesn't sell this weekend.

So get ready for some great cool weather...I've had a lot of questions recently from people wanting to know when it will be cold enough to wear some of their new fall fashions that go best with chilly weather.

***POOF*** Anything else I can do for you?....

No comments: