Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Charleston, SC: Take a hike...

(click on pics to enlarge)

You might think that for my first installment I would go over something historical per my trip to Charleston, SC. Nay, dear readers, nay...honestly, I could have chosen any number of tangents, but I chose 'open spaces' first. "Natural areas" play an important role in cities...the preservation of space, trees, flora and fauna, etc. is critical to any location. And for all of Charleston's hunger for growth and development, they have the park 'thing' down pat, especially along the southeast corner appropriately called Waterfront Park.


The above fountain flaunts a pineapple motif...in colonial America, the pineapple was quite symbolic, though the origins of which are unclear. In the late 1600s, the motif was being used on church finials, as it was an adopted Christian symbol at that time. From colonial times to this day, the pineapple remains a symbol for "Welcome" and "Hospitality".

At the southern tip of town, The Battery (including White Point Garden) is known for its elegant houses and expansive tree-lined corridor, ripe for strolling and weddings....and chasing squirrels...

That ol' dog was not interested in running after the squirrels, due to its age...just wanted to practice the stalking technique for old time's sake...I can relate!...

When planning parks and walkways, you have to account for the years required for trees to grow appropriately into their shadowing shapes, which takes a real artistic vision...and kudos to the park planners for providing plenty of shaded benches where you find yourself resting in the breezes of the day.

As you'll see in subsequent posts, Charleston is a booming economy in a national sea of economic doldrums, and space comes at a premium price. It's nice to know that within walking distance you can get to a "green" area and relax, choosing direct sunshine or salubrious shade, as both opportunities abound...

In the world of the Southeast's drought, water is in good supply there in the Low Country. Fountains are just plain fun, as any kid with parents in tow will attest...with my eyes ever scanning for unique perspectives to capture, I immediately saw one in the criss-crossing water arcs up close...

Myriad are the opportunities to get away from the historic streets...to take a deep breath and slow the ol' pace of Life down...

We stayed at Charleston Place, which was both crammed into its downtown space and yet spreading its arms for space, with this main entrance fountain greeting new arrivals...

...and this more meek one at an alternate entrance courtyard off Market Street...


Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment of yet another aspect of historic Charleston, SC...

4 comments:

Stephanie Reed said...

Hi, there-- lovely photos of Charleston!

May I go back to one of your old posts? I have a friend who is trying to find a childhood memory. I saw your Slim Buttes videos on YouTube and thought maybe you would know if this is the place she's talking about. You can read her description here:

"My parents took me camping a lot as a child and I recall some wonderful place with sandstone cliffs and etched out nooks in the
sandstone. There were even 'seats' etched into the nook so it was like a natural playhouse over looking a cliff which had my parents giving me all sorts of 'be careful' warnings. I wish I could recall where it was in the Northwest as I recall the sandstone and some of the other things about that place so clearly. It seemed like only my parents and I camped there and had a lonely remote feeling due to that. But the sandstone was fascinating with what the weather had done to it. The cliff was HUGE and scary to look over. My guess is it was North or South Dakota. My parents have passed away so I can't ask them. We walked around looking for arrowheads there and I think my mom said the area was known for finding them."

So if you know where this may be, would you reply here in your blog?

Thanks!

Bob Child said...

Thanks for your interest, Stephanie...Slim Buttes has long distances of sandstone cliffs, especially the west side. My video postcard showed the north-central section, but there is much more of the same. Don't know how long it's been government land, but you can camp all over that place. You can also check out my youtube video on "The Castles" which is another camping/picnicking place where the main highway there crosses Slim Buttes...lots of such places there, as well. Alas, that's about all I can offer knowledge-wise!

Bob

Stephanie Reed said...

Thanks, Bob! We did see your YouTube videos--my friend says she thinks it was The Castles. What I didn't know was that her dad was of Native American descent. She loved the flute music, too! Small world, huh? Thanks again for helping.

Bob Child said...

You are very welcome! :-)

Bob