Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend wildflowers: the white ones...

(click on pics to enlarge)

There is so much about Spring to fall in love with, and wildflowers often top that magical list. I found a sheltered slope away from the masses that was jam packed with a wonderful variety of blooms. I'd already missed the Bloodroot and Cut-leaved Toothworts from the prior week, thanks to rains, and with those blooms gone came in a host of new blooms.

At least I didn't get rained out this week...overcast conditions actually can make for nice smooth lighting, as long as it isn't too dark and forcing me to use a higher ISO speed which can be a bit grainy at times. Ah, the beauty of digital, instantaneously switching settings and getting immediate feedback if it's good to use or good to trash. I give you my survivors!

Mind you, while I taught high school biology for 9 years, I am no professional botanist. In fact, I'd forgotten a lot of wildflower identification that I knew so well years ago when I did volunteer work for The Nature Conservancy here in western NC. So bear with me...a chance I misidentified one or some...and enjoy the pure beauty of these creations up close.

Up first is the Erect Trilium...Trilium are appropriately named because the leaf and petal parts come in 3's. I've had more contact with the large white grandiflora varietal, and have enjoyed seeing Wake Robin and Painted varietals, as well. But I'm not sure I've seen this one, erectum, identified by the large maroon part in the flower's center.


As I like to do, moving in close opens up another world at which to marvel. Below is Star Chickweed, whose bloom is about 1/2" wide. What looks like 10 petals is actually 5 deeply cleaved ones, FYI.

White blooms dominate the adorned woodlands at the moment, and to see a stand of white Canadian Violets adds to the overall pristine appearance. There were yellow and purple violets, too, which I'll post tomorrow in Part 2...but I took a fancy to these white beauties.

It's like an artist dipped a fine brush into an indigo ink well and drew out the radiating lines...

I was lucky enough to have this winged wonder pause long enough on a violet while I moved the camera in very closely for a couple of close-ups...while the underside of its wings looks more dusky, the top sides were as white as the violets...and it had plenty to feast on while blending in perfectly.


Tomorrow I'll post the non-white flowers from the weekend...assuming my hard drive will behave itself and quit glitching like it did this morning!

No comments: