Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,

Hold Infinity in the Palm of your Hand

And Eternity in an Hour."

- William Blake


This last 'weekend wildflowers' is about the non-flowers, per se. Though they are just coming out, Jack-In-The-Pulpit can be found for a fairly wide timeline span. All plant parts contain calcium oxalate, which causes a significant burning sensation if not swelling in the throat and tongue area. Pretty toxic stuff. Native Americans purportedly used a root preparation for sore eyes; other uses were for bronchitis, rheumatism, snakebites...and even to induce sterility, of all things.

This Solomon's Seal is only just starting to create the pre-flower buds. I'll be posting its blooms soon, assuming I catch it in time. Another week, another set of blooms, so it seems...

When ferns begin to unfurl, they're called "fiddleheads" and for good reason...they look just like heads of violins/fiddles/scrolls. In fact, they are quite edible at this stage...here is a link for some (apparently) good eatin': FIDDLEHEAD RECIPES. However, I'm afraid I'm not well-versed in fern identification...

...although I am quite 'frond' of them...

Continuing with the theme of "I have no idea what this is", this was a neat picture that somehow reminded me of the Loch Ness Monster rearing its head out of the water. Be it the ferns or this plant member, I love the texture of the hairy stalks...

This morning happens to be a freeze/frost concern for many Foothills and mountain locations...duration of sub-freezing temps will be key. Hope my plant buddies fare well so I can bring you more pics as I can get to them. Hopefully this will be our last scrape with Mr. Frost.

If you don't know who he is, you don't know Jack...

No comments: