Thursday, November 16, 2006

Earning our keep...

What maelstrom's we had across North Carolina overnight and this morning...and those barn-burners are still smoking in eastern NC as I post this. Many storms became tornadic and, sadly, several lives were lost and homes destroyed in Columbus County in the town of Riegelwood (southestern section of the state). I captured this radar screen of 3 separate tornado warnings at once, all moving almost due north toward Raleigh this morning:


Overnight there were two tornado warnings in the Triad market, one in Yadkin County and one in Guilford County...at this time I've see no reports of damage, and, typical of overnight mesocyclones, it is difficult if not impossible to see a funnel form. Plenty of rain, too, as many areas received repeated storms moving overhead. This is the radar-estimated rain totals that may be slightly underdone since the most recent storms have most likely not yet been added in:


The red spot in Yadkin County would be in the 3-4" range, which is quite likely with their heavy storm early on that produced a tornado warning. The area shaded in green to the east is the area that received more than this image shows due to latency in reporting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So a looooong workday begins to round the bend to ending...I normally get up at 1am, but with the storms last night I got up at 11:30am and for some reason thought I'd better check the radars on the computer...only to immediately see the tornado warning for Yadkin County...let's just say that has a way of waking you up in a big way.

Out of responsibility that meant an immediate shower and drive to work, where Monte Montello was live with the storms. After assisting him for a while, I took over the reins (pun intended) at 2am and was live for 6 straight hours...I am officially bushed. Wouldn't you know this was also one of those days where I had to pull a second shift immedately after my normal one, so the poor viewers of News 14 Triad will have had to see me doing weather for 15 hours today.

Thankfully, the serious weather is out of the area, the tapes are in the can, and I am degassing as I write. This is how we earn our keep, and regardless off the drain it places on us, it always feels good to have done a job to the best of my ability.

No comments: