Thursday, November 02, 2006

Spreading my wings...

Well, I'm leaving the sling off today and spreading my wings...well, one of 'em, anyway. Feels very weird, and there is a tremendous degree of motion I don't have...but it's a start. I still have to use my left arm for most things, including scratching my fleas...

(Prarie dog in Custer State Park imitating me)

In the car, I still have to lean toward the stick shift to reach the knob, but luckily I have full use of my elbow, forearm, and hand. At work this morning, relative to the U.S. weather map, I'm good to the 35th parallel and that's about it...won't be pointing to Maine or Saskatchewan anytime soon! And speaking of spreading one's wings...

These little guys were part of a second brood of sparrows that found the wreath on the front door a grand place call home this past spring...it had the added benefit of being like an amusement park ride when the door opened and shut. Tried to keep that to a minimum, of course and used the back door as much as possible. They made a mess of the door, but it was worth it to watch those little miracles of Life come into this world...

Here I am having just driven to Cleveland and back a couple of weeks ago...while I was getting something out of the back of my car 2 days ago, I just happened to look down at the left rear tire...lo and behold, the steel belts were sticking through the outer edges of the tire! I knew I was going to need rear tires before too long, but I never really checked them out...lucky not to have had problems on that long trip, or heading to the station as I do at 2am.

So I got two new tires put on the front, and the front ones pulled to the rear...and when I hit the road home I remembered just how good it felt to ride on brand new tires...how much quieter it was. Kind of like putting on brand new socks...that level of comfort and feel-good quality that is like no other.

So do yourself a favor...if you haven't done so in a while, take a second to inspect your tires. As the adage goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

No comments: