Friday, November 03, 2006

"A Penny For Your Thoughts..."

OK, then, a Water Penny for your thoughts...(whatever floats your boat...!)

It's called the cohesion-tension theory of water...how water molecules 'bond' together to create a unique surface that will, among many other things, uphold such critters without them sinking in the water...the tension force creates enough resistance that they can 'skate' on water....and don't forget the Jesus Christ Lizard, either...phenomenal works of Nature in all Her glory.

(NOTE: the lizard link above is a video link...very cool!) Which is also why someone target shooting a can thrown out onto a lake needs to be extremely careful since the bullet can actually bounce off the surface of the water if hitting at a slight of enough angle...careening bullets aren't in anyone's best interest, to put it mildly...

Don't you just love random thoughts? Like why we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway here in the U.S.? And why the word 'abbreviation' is do dadgum long? Things that make you go 'hmmmmm...', as well as wonder, "What makes that Flute Boy tick? He ain't right, I tell ya!"

Proud of it...never know what I'll come up with next...which makes this whole blog thing and my plentious live forecasting so potentially fun! Like this morning...

We do 1-, 2-, and 3-minute forecasts that rotate at different times during the hour...the :21 weather is 3-minutes long...I get my 'hit' time from the control room in Raleigh...I put my show into play...I walk to the chroma key...I set my self-timer since I count myself out of each weather hit...the clock ticks to the appointed time...I hit the foot pedal to start the timer....'show time!'...

After 30 seconds into my 'live' forecast, I have this bell go off in my head as I glance at the clock to the side of the camera...it read 7:21:54 or something like that...and it's so funny how all of this can occur at once in a brain...I'm talking...I see the ':21" part of the time...that means this is a 3-minute weather hit...I realize I've put my 2-minute show into play, the one I did just 10 minutes earlier...but I have to keep going...so I do, all the way to the 7-day forecast at the end...and then realize that as the timer went to zero...that I'd set the timer for a 2-minute show instead of a 3-minute show...so after one big pregnant pause, with a minute still to go...I went back onto the screen and explained to the viewer how i just totally screwed up this weather segment and stood in front of the 7-day and explained other weather details in the immediate forecast...all I could do was laugh at myself and get the viewer chuckling, as well...what else is there to do?

Which is why I love live TV, or live theater/stage work...it is a good skill to learn how to keep going when the forest is falling all around you...even if you are the only one there to hear it fall!

No comments: