Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"Oh, Happy Day!"

Bear with me...this one will take a while...

The Triad weather studio is a converted master control room, hence there is a huge wall of glass separating my studio from the news and interview set studio. So I'm at the computer shaking my head at this coastal low bugaboo, and typical of most days I see people over at the interview set taping segments to run at a later time.

Only this time, I glance up and immediately recognize my former (and quite famous) history professor from my UNC-Chapel Hill days, William Powell. He recently penned quite the NC history book "The Encyclopedia of North Carolina", hence the reason for his interview, of course. I'm not sure there is another living two-legged who knows more NC history than that man. But there is more to this story...much more...

--------------------------

It was a large class, that one I took on NC colonization, with well over 100 students...and we had required seating that was summarily checked each day. On any given day it was normal for Prof. Powell to stop in mid sentence, look down at his seating chart and say something like, "Mr. Tom Stallings, I'm glad you find today's issue of The Daily Tarheel to be of keen interest, but out of respect for others wanting to learn something I would ask you to please go read it in the lobby if that is what you wish to do." He would then quietly transition back to his lecture. He was simply fascinating to listen to, and, no, he never had to tell me to put something away...

Like all oversized classes he had teachers assistants or T.A.'s that helped in myriad ways with grading, handouts, and the like. We had recently taken a rather lengthy test...maybe a mid-term, though I don't recall the particulars... but what I do recall was the end of class that one particular day. The T.A.'s were getting ready to return the exams, divided into alphabetical order at the front edge of the stage. Before releasing us to come forward, he read the names of 5 or so people that he needed to speak to directly as he had their exams...and mine was one of them.

A minor lump was in my throat as I anxiously went to Prof. Powell. He pulled me aside and very nicely asked if I could come by his office later that day, at my convenience, to discuss something on the test. Naturally, warning bells and whistles went off in my head even though I had done nothing wrong...still, at such times, logic goes out the window with "mindtalk" in full swing. I'm sure he sensed my sudden deer-in-the-headlights look and gently smiled and said there was nothing of a negative nature, but that he still needed to see me just the same. It worked. It put me at ease, even if for the moment.

At the appointed time I knocked on his door, and with that wonderful smile that makes his eyes twinkle (and if you have ever met him or will, you will see what I mean), he kindly beckoned me to have a seat. Regardless of what assurances I'd been given, I'm sure my palms were sweating and then some...

He began by telling me I had done well on the test...he complimented some of my answers, and it was obvious to him I cared about my performance in his class. I do remember it was a loooong test with many pages...what had happened was I inadvertantly flipped two pages at once and somehow didn't see it again when I checked over my test. I had left one whole page of short-answer questions blank. Blank.

Now, keep in mind this was the Department Chair, a very busy person with myriad responsibilities...he could very easily have had a T.A. meet with me about this...but that is not Prof. Powell's way. Not only did he take the time to take care of this personally, but he gave me the opportunity to answer the questions I'd overlooked...right there, just having a talk with him, a friendly chat on the question at hand, bantering back and forth, talking 'shop' on NC history...

The knowledge was there in my head, as I remember...but what I remember most, to this day, is how gracious, and fair, and honorable, and concerned this Teacher was toward just one of his thousands of lambs. He was genuinely warm, and, more importantly...he was a true gentleman.

He cared, he really cared.

I don't recall what that test grade was. I don't even remember what my course grade was. I didn't take another course with him as it had been an elective I took purely out of interest. But what I do know is I have used his example by which to live my life...especially when given the opportunity to help others...and have verbally told this story to many people over the years, including my students in 9 years of teaching. We would all do well to carry on such a legacy and touch others in like manner.
-------------------------------------------------

(Bob shaking his former professor's hand after 25+ years)

PHOTO: MARK SMITH

So now you have a better idea of why I jumped up out of my studio chair and rushed into the main studio to talk to Prof. Powell before they began his taping. It was a homecoming of sorts for me...and it helped bring an important event in my life full circle.

Amen.



No comments: