Thursday, December 21, 2006

"Chineese Train Wreck..."

In college, where frugality reigned supreme, there would come that time in the week...or month...where you felt like a boarder at old Mother Hubbard's. Cupboards almost empty, you'd used up your cafeteria card, and you sat looking at a can of beef stew...leftover spaghetti...a can of pinto beans...a bag of boil-in-bag rice...so you'd just grab the biggest pot you had and dump it all in there together and fondly call it "Chineese Train Wreck." Makes my mouth water just to think about it....NOT.

Didn't know where I was going with this post today (like most days)
...and I decided that I would just add unrelated ingredients to today's entry and create my unique eclectic stew for the day, hence the above reference to my culinary arts practices while at UNC-Chapel Hill.

I have another one of those double-shift duty days, so I'm feeling that
excitement...NOT, once again. Being a dog lover and then some, I had run across this card on-line that I'd seen years ago in a store and thought you'd get a chuckle out of it:


In my tangential way, I thought of this card when I read an article this morning of a female Komodo Dragon about to give virgin birth in the UK...parthenogenesis, it's called, self-fertilization already known in some lizard species, but never dreamed possible in this lineage of giant reptiles.
You could retitle the above card as "Komodo Dragon Christmases" and have one lizard say, "Who knocked Flora up?", and they could all sit around saying, "Not me", "I didn't", "Never touched her", "Was that her name?", "If I could have been so lucky"...

Here is the news link: Komodo Dragon virgin birth
More on self-fertilization in nature: parthenogenesis


"Komodo" makes me think of an awe-inspiring group from Sado in Japan: KODO, precision percussionists that will knock your socks off...
The DVD "Live At The Acropolis" is WELL worth the investment. Drumming extraordinaire that will leave you glued to the screen...first saw it on a PBS fund-raiser years ago, the Acropolis show, which has been my favorite.


Time for more holiday humor...


And now back to musicians that will knock your socks off...and little musicians at that...check out this video link to "The Marimba Ponies" and try to remember what talents you were working on in elementary school...click HERE for the video (turn your speakers on!)


Reckon I'd better get to work. As you prepare for and experience this holiday period, be it Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, or today's Winter Solstice, may all your wishes come true....

1 comment:

Bob Child said...

Well, if we can't get them, we have the Kodo drummers lay down some rhythm tracks til the cows come home! Barring winter weather, I should be at the January meeting!