Sunday, December 31, 2006

"Say it ain't so, Joe..."

OK, I won't.

I'll say, "Say it ain't so, Bob!"

Ah, 'tis.

As of 5:20pm today, Sunday December 31 in the year of our Lord 2006, my Sony computer tower was sitting in a very reputable repair shop undergoing bench testing to troubleshoot my 'issues'...

All I was going to do was beef up the video card in my 4-year old tower, which necessitated the installation of a 550 watt power supply (twice the original one)...installed without too much of a problem...worked great, too...


Ever heard the expression of "let a sleeping dog lie"? Well, I was heading in this direction, anyway, of upgrading my video/audio processing program to Pinnacle 10.5 Media Suite...with each of the 4 discs I put in they prompted me asking if I wanted to reboot to the new material then and there...but I knew I could do it all at once...including the upgrade to the 3-D radar rendering I spoke of earlier....

And when I did a restart...*boom*...*kabamm*...*blurp*... *diiiiiiiiiiingzleeeeeeeep*...something somewhere went terribly wrong and awry. Hard drive? Motherboard? Software? Just the hardware? Both hard and software? That is where I am at the moment. Dead in the water without my 'puter, awaiting further tests Monday morning.

So the saga continues. The Gorgon Sisters were not aware of their half-siblings, which I have now, unfortunately, brought to life. I will most certainly keep you updated on my less-than frolicking fun here on the last day of 2006...wheee. Feel the excitement....!

Thanks for your support...but I don't
think I'll be posting again until sometime next year....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor computer. :(

Any specific error messages when it failed to reboot?

Bob Child said...

none....would just start to boot at black SONY page and cycle to a page to let me choose starting in safe or normal modes, would ignore the safe mode command choices, begin to start up, would flash a bluescreen with writing on it (not the 'blue screen of death')and immediately *click* and go back to it's starting point of the black screen with SONY on it...and do it all over again. The diagnostic and rebuilding discs the repair shop is using kept stopping half-way through their 'work', so today they look deeper into the hardware. Not looking good...

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Gotta love computer problems. Hope they get you back up and running soon! Happy New Year! Love the blogs too, keep them coming.