Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Ever-changing weather weather..."

Rare is the day I am not up well before the sun...even on vacation. In the pre-dawn darkness I could see low clouds still spitting out raindrops, and my radar showed a heavy rain cell just overhead and pushing east into the Atlantic. Overnight showers are not uncommon in many coastal areas, as warm ocean air meets slightly cooler land air as winds shift and boundaries move through. Even with a 'thicker' sky the magic is all there...

(remember, you can click on pics to enlarge)

In my morning walk, I wrapped up the knee and opted for tennis shoes to aid in a longer traipse up to the pier and back. The night's high tide was not enough to dismantle a couple of cute sand and shell creations I ran across...of all the sand sculptures and castles I made growing up, I've never thought of encrusting the top with shells...

Given that Mercy still hasn't come around to loving the water any more than she does, the walk back was via a nice sidewalk lining the main beach drag, which is often used by walkers and bicyclists. Along the way were several open lots facing the inner estuaries, all well-splashed in red. A cultivar-escapee covering the Carolina coastline with ample color is Gaillardia (aka Fire Wheel, Indian Blanket), a self-seeding annual that loves the sandy soil...

You may wonder why it was I didn't just turn around and take the beach back to the house? Maybe Mercy would have 'seen the light' and decided she loved the beach after all? Well, truth be told, there is one simple reason I gave in to her non-beach-route demands, and the picture below says it all...


Pier pressure.

No comments: