Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New weather toy...

Still trying to juggle the 'time' thing...haven't found the groove yet, hence not much of an explanation of a new tool I use from my home computer. Where you've seen my prior posts with flat, 2-D radars, those are from Level 3 data from the National Weather Service radars. While I can get a similar view (like the one below), this offshoot uses Level 2 data for 3-D dissection of storms...

You can pick out the center of Fay's circulation after midnight last night, getting ready to kiss the Atlantic. In 3-D mode I can do a variety of scans and reveal various features...the one below helping to show the cloud bandings and heights (all pics can be clicked to enlarge for better viewing):

I can 'lose' the clouds and deal with the various intensities of rainfall, cloud heights...in this case the green being a lighter intensity of rainfall...

...as opposed to the more intense yellow...

I have complete control to rotate around the storms, look at it horizontally, or move around for a bird's eye view...

Please excuse the incompleteness of these explanations...more on all this at a later date as I get other parameters loaded...just figured you'd like to see some cool images!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that new weather toy you have! Good pics, too. It looks very interesting and like it is a lot of fun to use.

Bob Child said...

Been lookin' for some really nasty cells to 'play with', but Fay is being tame today...too, the storms in TX/LA are also not being especially bad, so I'll have to wait to go tornado surfing...!