Friday, August 29, 2008

"Fried Fridays: Puttin' the pony in the barn..."

As August comes to an end, so does my contract at News 14. I made the decision last spring not to re-sign, and gave the station a 3-month notice to aid in hiring my replacement. If you aren't aware, TV contracts are pretty tough cookies, and once you're in one you stay in one. My window of opportunity has come up, and I knew the time was now to make my move, on many levels.

While no one has signed on the dotted line yet (to my knowledge), Matthew East will be sliding over to my weekday morning position, which will be a huge boon to his family's life. Technically, that leaves his position the one being filled, a mix of nights and mid-days weekends and 3 weekdays.

It takes a special person to work here, as it's not anything like a 'normal' station. Weather On The Ones fires off 6 times an hour, every hour, every day, even holidays, combining that with live wall-to-wall coverage in severe weather or serious weather-related situations. We don't have to worry about cutting into ads, or cutting off popular TV shows or games...we do what we have to do.

There are quiet times, to be sure; but when the skies crank up, we jump in with both feet, and you can guarantee yourself you will work yourself to the bone. Too, when it happens time after time after time in a short period, you wonder how you can even coherently speak anymore, and you get sick of hearing your own voice.


But it's what we do....not a job for those who want to be pampered and paid a high salary, 'cause it ain't happenin' here. Never has, never will. And now there is yet an increased base load with the addition of News 14 Coastal into the mix, and the demands are much greater for us all. It can be successfully argued that the thinness of the new 'stretch' creates several Achilles Heels that will have to be dealt with on the fly...

I won't be totally gone...for a while I'll be like the proverbial bad penny and keep showing up from time to time, filling in as I can to help with the load. Otherwise, I'll be pursuing my Soul's work making/performing with my Native American style flutes, and pursuing all of my other artistic and literary passions that I've simply not had the time, energy, or freedom to follow.

NOTE: This blog WILL CONTINUE, and more than likely will expand. There will be times I'll write about weather situations, whatever interests me...so bookmark this ol' blog if you've enjoyed my ramblings, and keep checking in regularly. Too, I will be revamping my website soon, which will also have more 'stuff' on it like upcoming art shows, performances, and the like:

www.UglyBoyFlutes.com

As I like to say, I'm shutting a door and opening the windows. Breezes are good for us free spirits in the world.

Toodles!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Bob! We're proud of you! Can't wait to see what the new, rested, focused Bob does next...