Monday, June 01, 2009

Hatching time!

For several weeks the Pipevine Swallowtails have been emerging from their winter dens, each an alien-looking chrysalis...

...and when they emerge they go through this awkward process of unfurling their wings and allowing them to stiffen...at first glance you would think they were wounded as they often fall to the ground writhing about.

I took a break from making sawdust and helped this one up, and it immediately thought I was the neatest thing since sliced bread. I headed inside to grab a camera, and knew this was going to be a challenge to see what I can come up with one handed and not looking through the viewfinder...quite a little challenge, especially for the frames I shot left-handed (exposure buttons are on the right side)...

And, so, there is really little else to this post but pictures of my efforts...as always, you can click on any picture to enlarge it...

It takes them some time to reach the fly-away stage, and I was hoping this one might do so while I had the camera...

...but after a while I had to get back to my professional sawdust factory, so I placed it in a safe area to finish 'getting its legs', er, uh...'wings'.





HAVE YOU KISSED YOUR BUTTERFLY TODAY?


No comments: