Monday, June 15, 2009

"Oh there's a little Green Heron...."

"...doin' what it oughter,
a little Green Heron,
fishin' in the water..."

OK, so the song works better with the original 'little white duck'. But this feathered friend is much more interesting to look at...

(click on pics to enlarge)

As I headed out for a foggy morning walk around a nearby lake, I decided to grab my little silver Canon S2, the one with the long repair-shop stint last fall. I hadn't used it much lately, but figured it might come in handy.

Soon enough I happened upon this Green Heron fishing along a shallow section of shoreline and figured I'd see what the little super-zoom could do...and I was not disappointed. I've never taken pictures of a Green Heron before, and this one made for a very tolerant model, though I kept a good distance away.






Later, farther down the shoreline in the filtered sunshine of the morning, I did spy a Leashed Black Heron that was wading in the shallows, though apparently not interested in fishing at the moment...

I have other non-bird pics from the walk that I'll share in a later post. I said it earlier and I'll say it again: the repair center put in a new lens and motor, and this new generation lens is significantly sharper than the original one, which was none too shabby. Worth the wait, it was!

Happy Monday to all y'all! Starting Wednesday I'll pull 6 mornings straight at WSOC that may well wrap up my fill-in stint there. I've got an art show in Maggie Valley in July and need to tweak my growing flute stock, so look for pics of new flutes, including a raven-head walking cane branch flute. Lots of cool 'stuff' waiting in the wings...


2 comments:

Bobbye said...

These are incredible when enlarged. He's incredible, isn't he?

Bob Child said...

Yeah, and an efficient fishing machine, too! I'm thinking a flute will come out of this...