Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"Getting To The Heart Of Matters..."

Ah, yes, Valentine's Day...

...where a dozen roses cost 4 times as much as they should...

...where everyone still trying to shed pounds from Christmas is gifted with boxes of chocolate and candy hearts with mostly indiscernable, if not senseless, words...

...where waaaaay overpriced greeting cards fly off the shelves to feed our modern courting rituals...


...where M&Ms change colors once again so they can be specifically marketed in the off-season February niche before switching over to pastels for Easter...

...and where Cupid is freezing his tush off in the upper Midwest. Fly, arrows, fly! You need SOMEthing to warm you up, there, and help melt the snow!!!


I still say we should live every day in our heart as if it were every celebration and every holiday wrapped up into one big soft, warm, buffalo robe. So here's wishing each of you a Happy Merry Memorial Easter President's Valentine Labor Day of Thanksgiving!

-------------------------------------

For your listening pleasure, I have web links to 3 of my songs in MP3 format, listed below. They happen to be flute-only (no drums, rattles, other instruments, or environmental sounds), and run the gamut from slow and eerie, to high and meditative, to a fun uptempo song that has a humorous story...

I used to call the fast one "Prarie Runner"...unbeknownst to me at the time, a well-known recording artist had a CD title of the same name, so I've since switched it to "Bad Girl In The Badlands." Long story short, when I first went to the Badlands, Mercy saw her first herd of Mule Deer and helped herself out of the car window when I pulled over to look.

(3 Mulie does at attention Badlands, 2005)

There went my ball of fur off into the distance...knowing the deer were perfectly safe...and knowing that I was dead meat if a ranger happened by while I frantically tried to get her back...that's the short version, and I'd written that song to honor her moment of full-bore freedom...


Song links (MP3 format):
(NOTE: may require Quicktime)

1. "After Wounded Knee"

(original composition)


2. "Zuni Sunrise Prayer"

(my variation on a traditional melody)


3. "The Wedding"

(original composition)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Bobbye