Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"The Unveiling..."

Today is a special day. Well, every day is a special day. I strongly advocate that everyone respect each new day as if it were every holiday wrapped up into one. Valentine's sentiments are no more for February than Memorial Day honorings are for May...may we always live life large and full. As my self-created mantra says,

"Each new day give thanks, help others, and make a difference."

I am honored to be a part of a very special week in the life of a school who received a grant to study and honor Native American life, culture, and arts. My participation is with a lecture-performance on the Native American flute, which I consider to be a very spiritual instrument to begin with. It never fails to mesmerize any and all who hear it, be it infants or even Alzheimer's patients. There is just something universal to its sound that touches All That Is.

You saw the post earlier with the heron block picture I posted of its progress...well, here is that picture with the finished picture added...


Part of my performance will be the presentation of that special flute that will be in the museum they are creating. The flute is constructed around a water-based theme, which I can only say came to me in my own visions without knowing a 'why'. Humans are querelous most of the time, and many of us are uncomfortable if we don't 'know' the 'why' of something...I'm at peace, knowing and trusting in the process that if I need to know it the answer will reveal itself when necessary. Plenty of other stuff to worry about in day to day life, eh?!

The main wood is Quilted Maple from Oregon, a wood that shimmers and reminds me of shimmering water reflections in good light. The end caps are of Redwood burl, also of the west coast. The finger/playing holes are inlaid with southeastern Walnut.


The heron head block is that of a Great Blue Heron in breeding plummage, carved from a single block of basswood. Yeah, I'm scared to do anything with it for fear of breaking something off...but I strengthened it some with some liquid hardener to make the wood more stable before finishing it.


The Dragonfly inlay has a body made with Turquoise and Lapis, with the gossamer wings a combination of Abalone and aluminum powder. If you don't know, when you do an inlay you have to dig out a channel for the materials, and the dragonfly wings were tedious at the very least.


I suppose you'd like to see the whole thing instead of the pieces...here it is...


Of course, these are not random choices. Many cultures, including the Native Americans, understood the power of certain animals as Messengers and Guides, known as totems...

Heron teaches self-determination and self-reliance on the innate power within, as well as possessing gifts as a peace-maker. The color blue also vibrates with the Heavens, and represents peace and tranquility.

The Dragonfly teaches skillful action while maintaining a free and joyful and free sense of being, with the ability to see through illusions and be a harmonious part of the winds of change in life.

This has been a wonderful case study for synergy, where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole of just a flute that plays beautiful music. It's easily attainable in day to day life no matter what your endeavor, really...they key is 'intent' and willful direction of thought and energy towards a selected focus.

Try it sometime. You'll be glad you did.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nniiiiiiiiiiice.

Bob Child said...

Thaaaaaaaanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh ..... it's GORGEOUS ..... incredible detail !
Very nice work!
I'm sure that flute and its significance will be treasured for all time!

Bob Child said...

Many thanks, Suzy...it's a Catch-22 to make something so special only to have to let it go...maybe the school will let me visit and play it from time to time!

Anonymous said...

Very nice work! Quite a talent you have there!

Will

Bob Child said...

Now if only I could predict weather as well as I can do my art and music! HA! FYI, heads up for next Tuesday...starting to watch the model runs with far more concern. You know how changeable it is here, but Tuesday has some ominous vibrations...