Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Making Lemonade Out Of Lemons: Part 2"

What you will read in this post all came about yesterday after I got home from work. It's not like I didn't have a gazillion other things that I should have been taking care of, but those of you who are artists or otherwise driven by creative passions know that when the 'lightbulbs' go on you have but one choice...forge ahead. Plus, it was beautiful afternoon, and knowing that this was the one nice day for a while, that was the only excuse I needed...

(FYI, I tried something different with the pictures, which I put together with some writing...click the pics to enlarge them and you will be able to read 'em better...)

To begin, most of you have read my earlier entry about my local woods suddenly laid to waste...I decided to walk out into the cleared area, and once there had this idea....


Since I can't do anything about the loss of the land, I realized I COULD do something neat to put a positive, healing energy back into it and the surrounding area: I would take some of the scrap cedar and use it to make the fetish blocks for some of my Native American style flutes.

And so, this is what I did with my afternoon...found some wood that should yield what I need to make a block (well, several blocks, but I only had time for one!), and began to make a piece of torn, discarded tree, into art...and not just any art, but an integral part of my flutes...

And what better subject to use than that of the Red-Tail Hawks I photograph regularly around there (or used to)...easily stylized many different ways.


I always forget that I need to sand with latex gloves on...hands get REALLY rough when you do all that sanding...!


Voila'! Trash to Treasure!

With a little more TLC and handiwork, this hawk fetish will go on a unique flute that has been waiting to have the right block made for it...I'm smellin' future blog post, here...!

(as I let Mercy out at this wee hour, I can also smell rain...though it's hours away, it is a rather nice, detectable fragrance in the milder air...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring Bob! Very impressive too I might add! Always nice to see someone unearth the positive from an unfortunate incident. Thanks!

Will

Anonymous said...

Bob, I am absolutely amazed! You pulled all that together in just 1 afternoon?! Not to mention having an eye to see JUST the RIGHT piece of remnant wood to HONOR the hawk whose habitat was violated and destroyed! Somehow, making lemonade from that lemon is all part of the big Plan ... I commend you! :)

I too, ache at the sight of environmental destruction. Here, we have to deal with the commercialization of all our inland lakes and natural wetlands -- all for the sake of the "almighty motorboat", and all at the expense of our waterfowl.

Suzy

Bob Child said...

And yet, Suzy, we MUST speak our Peace...since all thoughts are true forms of Energy, we have to speak up for the Unspoken...the wetlands, the merciless greed of the 2 leggeds (what else is it, really???) ...so I write...and you write...others nod, or grumble ...but at least we're "putting it out there", even if on a limited basis. I just want people to "wake up" and make their own informed opinions, whatever that is...THAT is our responsibility. *SIGH*... what IS amazing is the 'critical mass' needed to make changes in this ol' world...it is SMALLER than you think...!!!

Anonymous said...

You'll show us the finished product, won't you? That is simply beautiful! The eye is incredible.

Bobbye

Bob Child said...

Oh, yes, I will...and per your suggestion I am posting some of my flute music links on the web!