Friday, February 09, 2007

"What I Did On My Last Night's Vacation..."

This will be a pretty concise post as I'm functioning on little sleep and a long day just now starting. If you read the earlier post about the flute and presentation I made to a school earlier this week, their activities are culminating today with 2 performances by an incredible Apache dance group called Yellow Bird.

YELLOW BIRD DANCERS

They arrived from Arizona yesterday afternoon, and all who have been a part this week were invited to someone's house for a nice meet and greet dinner and short 'talk' by the group leader (and father). You can imagine that the vast majority of the time I simply can't partake of anything after 6pm as I'm gearing down for sleep that ends at 1am. But there are those times you have to risk being a zombie, try to get an afternoon nap, and just 'do it' anyway. I did, and very glad I did.


They are a humble, beautiful and soft but well-spoken People, and I have no doubt their performance will be awe-inspiring. It is something to behold, the extensively intricate Native regalia and dance patterns, drumming, singing, and even flute playing. While there are a couple of dancers in the family that are former world dance champion title holders, their best is young Anthony, who is also their big flute player...

THE HOOP DANCE

...and he honored me by playing a song on one of my special flutes, my Boo flute, as some of you reading this may know of it. Wow - left me speechless, which is a rare thing. Humbling only begins to describe it. Anyhow, just a wonderful evening/night, worth the toothpick marks I'll have later when I have to start propping my eyes open.

----------------------------------------

May everyone have a lovely weekend...QUICK updated synopsis at the moment for next week is a complicated one-two punch. First punch is leaning toward non-frozen precipitation around the Tuesday time-frame, but it will exit and draw colder air in behind it...in line for the Second punch...but the fickle and jumpy GFS is trending this system farther to the south and wants to push it so far that it yields nothing. I am one who at this time puts no stock in any of it just yet, and won't until I see some inklings of continuity one way or the other. Too much to enjoy about today being Friday!

Carpe diem, y'all!

No comments: