Monday, February 19, 2007

"Spread Those Wings And Fly, Fly, Fly..."

I don't know about you, but I'm glad there is a warm-up on the way this week. Good news!

-----------------------------------------

Well, after a busy weekend of flute activity with the Carolinas Flute Circle as well as the procurement and set-up of a new flute-making toy in the form of a 14-inch industrial bandsaw, I'm finally getting around to posting the finished "salvaged" flute update I'd spoken about earlier. The original flute body is made of Panga Panga, an African 'cousin' to Wenge, for those of you that know woods...dense and hefty for it's F# key, but a beautiful haunting voice as a result. I also discovered you could carve it to make it look like a log/tree...just never felt comfortable with a 'matched' block for it. Anyway, figured it was appropriate to take the pics at the scene of the crime and rebirth...(click on pics to enlarge)...


In that earlier post (click link for it) I told you how I got the idea to take some scrap Eastern Red Cedar from the recent destruction of some nearby woods...and create a block fetish for a flute I had already made, so that from the scene of the woods destruction I could create something positive in return, maybe a little much-needed healing.


The flute's original block just didn't "jive" with the unusual "Log Flute", and I knew that...but everytime I tried to create a more "appropriate" block, I didn't get far before I got stuck in inertia. Only when it hit me how to honor the torn-down woods did it all come together...to take some "salvaged" wood and create an interpretation of a Red-Tail Hawk that you've seen pictures galore of here in my past posts...the woods were their home...so the honor was most appropriate.


I do plan on doing more with the cedar I've collected...and with my new bandsaw can more safely and effectively try and even salvage some boards for flutes...I think that would be really neat to do. We shall see. I almost always keep my plate overflowing with ideas and "to-do" lists that I could never accomplish....but I can dream, can't I?

May all of us keep our dreams and hopes alive...it's the only way to fly, fly, fly...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,
Healing indeed .....

That flute is gorgeous! I love the "log" effect, and the red-tail hawk is absolutely perfect for it!
The whole flute came together just perfectly for you!

Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

Thank ya, ma'am...I feel that way, too! More to come in that department...!

Bob